Tuesday 23 October 2018

Week 29 / Professional Online Social Networks

Step 1 (Descriptive): 

My current use of social media for professional development includes the use of Facebook, google apps such as docs, slides and hangouts (live casting),  google+, blogger, youtube and Pinterest. I use these social media platforms to discuss and share ideas and new learning with other professionals as well as gaining new ideas from others to inform my teaching practice and professional skills. I am a confident user of these tools and find them extremely helpful. 

Step 2 (Comparative): 

After viewing the survey completed by fellow educators about what social media they use in professional development (shown below), I can clearly see the most popular networks used include Facebook & google+ communities (PLN & Social Forums), blogs and videos. These are platforms I also use and am familiar with. Twitter also features quite highly. This is a platform I have an account for but very rarely use. 

After reading the book "What connected educators do differently" by Whitaker, Zoul & Casas (2015), I can see the many benefits twitter offers and how this can be used effectively to grow ones professional learning network (PLN). They recommend the practical strategies "Follow 5" - meaning follow and interact with 5 educators who they suggest are exemplary connected educators; "Find 5" - referring to looking at the 5 resources/tools they recommend for growing your PLN; and "Take 5" - encouraging educators to take part in their 5 steps to get started with becoming a connected educator. Whitaker et al. (2015) conclude that it is time for educators to take responsibility for their own professional learning by creating and participating in PLNs and connecting with like minded educators to enhance their teaching practice. It also enables professionals to learn at their own pace and preferred learning style (Melhuish, 2013). I personally enjoy learning using a combination of literature, conversations and video content which was not available when I was at school. I found school a struggle and information technology was not something that was readily available.      

Step 3 (Critical Reflection): 

The implications for using social media in my own professional development are that it enables me to connect with like minded individuals that is not possible without technology, it allows me to grow as a professional and know that I am not alone with the various challenges I face as an educator. It also gives me the opportunity to take charge of my own learning to be the best that I can be - breaking down barriers and fulfilling my wants and needs as a professional. I do however need to be quite selective and critical with the information I choose to accept. Melhuish (2013) points out that the downside to social media is the lack of quality control and fact that anyone can comment and share information - which is not necessarily theory driven or proven to be helpful in any way.  

This reflective process has highlighted the impact social networking has on my professional development. I was so used to social networking being 'just something I did' without actually realising the important role it had with growing my professional practice. This has made me aware that others can also learn from myself and gets me thinking about how what I post will help other educators.  

This reflection was constructed using Jay and Johnson's  (2002) reflective model.

References:

Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002) Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.

Melhuish, K.(2013). Online social networking and its impact on New Zealand educators’ professional learning. Master Thesis. The University of Waikato. Retrieved on 05 May, 2015 from http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/bitstream/han…
Whitaker, T., Zoul, J., & Casas, J. (2015). What connected educators do differently. New York, NY: Routledge.


No comments:

Post a Comment