Sunday 29 July 2018

Week 17 / My Reflective Practice

Step 1: Descriptive

When I first learnt about reflective practice during my university degree, we were asked to use John Smyth's (1993) Framework for Reflection. We wrote about 3 dilemmas we encountered for each of our teaching placements. I found these to be helpful but also time consuming. Now seven years later, I find that my reflections are more in the moment and in my own head or verbally discussed with a colleague to hear their perspective or opinion rather than written down somewhere or blogged about. Finlay (2008) states that the term 'reflective practice' ranges from professionals engaging in solitary introspection to that of critical dialogue with others. I am constantly using student's cues to gage how effective a lesson is going and quickly adjust my approach where I see fit. There have been a few instances where I have reflected in my own personal teaching blog which is shared with very few people being my appraiser and maybe a few of my colleagues from school. I don't currently use a model or framework to guide my reflections.

Step 2: Comparative 

I do not believe critical reflection should be about criticising yourself or other colleagues, as this to me feels extremely negative and if we are to grow and further our practice to be the best we can be, then critiquing is far more effective in my opinion. I was quite surprised by the survey data showing quite a large number of people who believe reflection is about criticising their own or other's practice. This makes me wonder if their experiences with critical reflection have been negatively impacted by other teaching colleagues and may explain the high number of people who like myself, prefer to reflect on their own. I also noticed a high number of people who completed the survey, rarely write reflections whether it be in a diary or online and this makes me wonder what the quality of their reflections are. According to Finlay (2008) for professionals who are short on time, reflective practice is often bland and mechanical - this is something I can definitely identify with.

Step 3: Critical Reflection

This process of looking into my own reflective practice and that of others has been enlightening. I feel I need to make the time to reflect using a model to guide me more frequently to ensure my reflections are deep and meaningful not just superficial and a quick fix. I feel that blogging my reflections and having them open for the world to see, is daunting but something I am willing to grasp with both hands and have a go at. I look forward to looking deeper into what critical reflection can do to help me grow professionally especially sharing these reflections with fellow colleagues and broadening my professional network. 

I have used Jay and Johnson's (2002) reflective model for this reflection about my own reflective practice.

Reference List:

Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. Practice-based Professional Learning Centre, Open University. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/sites/www.open.ac.uk.opencetl/files/files/ecms/web-content/Finlay-(2008)-Reflecting-on-reflective-practice-PBPL-paper-52.pdf 

Jay, J.K. and Johnson, K.L. (2002). Capturing complexity: a typology of reflective practice for teacher education. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18, 73-85.

Smyth, J. (1993). Reflective Practice in Teacher Education. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 18(1). 

















4 comments:

  1. Some great comments about your reflective practice Dani. I too, like you, felt daunted by the thought of sharing my blog with the world to see. What were your greatest concerns? Since learning more about reflective practice, how do you think sharing your blog is going to improve your teaching practice? I have changed my blog settings from private to public (a very daunting feeling) and am waiting with 'bated breath' to see what happens! Good on you for being brave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Tina! I guess my main concern is people judging my thoughts and opinions and that transpiring into negativity. I hope that by sharing my blog, I will broaden my relationships with other like minded professionals and therefore benefit from their advice (feedback/feedforward) and experiences.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog post, Dani. It's clear to see that you have thought a great deal about your own practice and about your reflective habits.

    I can relate to your comment about reflecting in the moment/in your own head as it is something I tend to do a lot as well. I do not write down my thoughts either and like you I am much more likely to take cues from students to aid any changes in lesson planning and teaching than from my own written reflections. Like you I was surprised by other people's responses who believe reflection is about criticizing their own or other's practice. Maybe this is a reflection (no pun intended) of how things used to be. In recent times I have experienced a shift within the teaching profession towards a more collegial and constructive approach as far as critical reflection and accountability is concerned.

    I agree with you about the crituiqing approach being a far more effective alternative. Any time I have done any reflections, they have been a requirement and have therefore felt forced, bland and mechanical with no real or lasting impact or change resulting.

    I like your point about needing time to reflect combined with an effective model to ensure your reflections are meaningful and not superficial.

    I admire your honesty and courage to write down your thoughts-not to mention your willingness to grasp it with both hands. Yes this process is daunting, but as you said, it has been enlightening for you as well. I hope your reflections become deeper and more meaningful as time goes on and that your practice is positively impacted as a result.

    Kia kaha Dani!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Marc! I'm glad you can relate to my experience with reflective practice. I agree with your theory that reflective practice could have been about criticising in the past although I cannot speak from experience. I am enjoying the exposure to the different reflective theories so far and hope that this will guide many future reflections for myself and others :-)

      Delete